I love ordering sweet potato fries when I go out to eat. They’re so tasty alongside a salad, veggie burger, or sandwich. This recipe for vegan air fryer sweet potato fries is incredibly easy to make. It’s true that sweet potatoes don’t crisp up the same way that white potatoes do. But, with the right technique, you can treat yourself to tasty, crispy sweet potato fries.
You’ll want to make sure you cut your sweet potato fries at a good width and thickness. If you cut them too thick, they won’t crisp up properly. If you like this recipe, you’ll love this sweet potato breakfast hash.
You only need a few simple ingredient to make these air fryer sweet potato fries.
- Sweet potato – You can use yams, or even purple sweet potatoes if you want. This recipe will also work with white potatoes.
- Avocado oil – You can also use vegetable oil of your choosing.
- Salt and pepper
- Harissa seasoning – This spice is optional but it’s my favorite to use. You can also use paprika, oregano, nutmeg or cinnamon. Experiment with what you like!
How to make sweet potato fries without oil
You don’t need to use a lot of oil when you’re making sweet potato fries. But, if you want to omit it completely, you can. However, the flavor and texture will be a little different. If you don’t want to use oil for your sweet potato fries, the best method would be to bake your slices at 400°F on parchment paper for 15 minutes. Check for doneness at this time, and add additional minutes if needed. If you’re using a toaster oven that bakes, you can also lie them directly onto the rack.
How long do you air fry frozen sweet potato fries?
If you want to skip cutting the sweet potatoes altogether, you can definitely use frozen vegan potatoes. To air fry sweet potato fries from frozen, fry them for 15 minutes at 400°F. You’ll want to shake the basket halfway through and check for doneness. If they need a little more time, add a few more minutes.
Vegan loaded sweet potato fries
My favorite way to prepare sweet potato fries is by making a loaded vegan sweet potato fry bowl. It’s a complete meal and incredibly tasty! You have so many options when it comes to loading up your sweet potatoes. Here are a few ideas with what to top your loaded potatoes with:
- Vegan black bean chili
- Vegan cheese or sour cream
- Chopped lettuce and tomato
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Chickpeas or hummus
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds
After topping your fries, serve alongside your favorite vegan aioli or dipping sauce.
How to make vegan air fryer sweet potato fries
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin of the sweet potatoes. If you like the skin, leave it on!
- Cut your sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch thick french fries. The size doesn’t need to be perfect, but make sure they’re consistent so they cook evenly.
- Mix together chopped potato, oil, salt, pepper and harissa powder.
- Spray air fryer basket with a small amount of cooking oil. This is optional but it helps sticking.
- Cook at 375°F for 8 minutes, then shake basket and cook for an additional 5 minutes. If they seem a bit undercooked, add another 3-5 minutes until they are crispy. Every air fryer cooks a little bit differently.
- Tip: If I am making a large batch of fries, I like to let them cool between batches on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Easy Vegan Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer
- 2 Medium Sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Avocado oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Harissa seasoning
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin (unless you like the skin then leaving it on it fine).
- If you do chose to leave the skin just make sure to rinse them well.
- Cut your sweet potato into approximately 1/4 inch thick French fries (size does not have to be perfect, just do your best to make them similar in size so they cook evenly).
- In a medium to large mixing bowl add the sweet potato fries, oil and seasoning, then toss.
- The best way to make the sweet potato fries evenly cooked and crispy is to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer basket
- Spray the air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray (optional but helps to avoid sticking to the basket and for easier removal).
- Spread out an even layer of sweet potato fries.
- Cook at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes then use a spatula to flip the fries over.
- Cook again for another 5 to 8 minutes until thoroughly cooked and crispy.
- If they still seem a little soft or uncooked, add an additional 3-5 minutes until crispy.