These rainbow baked vegan donuts are incredibly easy to make and perfect for any party, gathering or special occasion. They make a great dessert, a tasty treat on the go, or the perfect midnight snack. They’re baked, not fried, so you don’t have to worry about making a big mess with oil in the kitchen.
If you don’t already have a donut pan, I suggest you get one because they’re a lot of fun to use! Donuts have such novelty as a baked good, and you’ll look extra fancy when you bring these homemade donuts to work or a bake sale. If you don’t have a donut pan, you can use this recipe for cupcakes as well. But, they won’t be as fluffy as a standard cupcake.
These donuts are rainbow, but you can definitely leave out the food coloring if you want to make them plain. Or, add some cocoa powder to make them chocolate. I just love the way they look with rainbow colors though. Why can’t all food be rainbow?
How to make vegan baked donuts
Time needed: 25 minutes
These vegan baked donuts are colorful, easy to make, and full of that perfect donut flavor. And, you can have a batch on the table in under 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven and prepare your donut pan.
Preheat your oven to 350 °F and spray your donut pan with your favorite nonstick cooking spray.
- Start preparing the batter.
Whisk together the sugar, salt, milk, melted butter, vanilla and almond extract.
- Add dry ingredients.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Then, slowly incorporate into the wet mixture being sure not to overmix the batter.
- Add the food coloring.
Use a sandwich bag or piping bag to create lines of food coloring (this adds the rainbow color to the donuts). Pour the donut batter into the bags.
- Prepare the donuts.
Snip the end of the bag and pour the batter into the prepared donut pan about 3/4 full to allow room for rising.
- Bake the donuts.
Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes until just turning brown. Remove from oven and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper to cool.
- Glaze and decorate the donuts.
After 5 minutes, glaze and decorate the donuts. Enjoy them while they’re warm! You can also store the donuts in an airtight container and glaze them before serving.
Tips and tricks for making the best baked vegan donuts
- Be sure not to overmix your donut batter. This will result in a tough donut instead of fluffy donuts.
- For an even easier recipe, leave out the food coloring and make these donuts plain. You can add in 1 tbsp. of cocoa powder to make a chocolate donut.
- Use your favorite gluten-free flour (1:1 baking flour) to make these donuts gluten-free as well.
- Add festive colors like red and green for Christmas, or orange for Halloween and make these for the holidays.
- Freeze these donuts for up to a month and then rewarm them at a later time. Just add the glaze after they are re-warmed, not before freezing.
- If you plan on making a lot of baked goods, I would invest in a reusable pastry bag. They last a lot longer than the disposable ones and won’t break as easily as a plastic sandwich bag.
- You can use vegan frosting and add 1-2 tbsp. of dairy-free milk to make a glaze.
Let me know if you made these donuts and how beautiful they came out! They’re the perfect treat and I love making a tin of these as a gift, or just because.
Other tasty vegan sweets
Easy Baked Vegan Donuts Recipe
- 1 Mini Donut Pan You can also use a regular sized pan and make larger donuts
- 1 Medium mixing bowl
- 1 9×11 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Piping Bag or Plastic Sandwich Bag
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dairy free butter melted
- 1 ¼ cup dairy free milk I use oat milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegan rainbow sprinkles
- Food coloring Green, Yellow, Blue, Pink or Red
Vegan Glaze (Store-bought or make your own)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. almond or dairy-free milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Prep the donut pan by spraying it with your favorite non-stick baking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the sugar, salt, melted butter, milk and vanilla and almond extracts, stirring together until well combined.
- Next, add the baking soda, baking powder and flour and whisk together just until combined.
- Take a piping bag and use a butter knife with a drop of the any color food dye to make a line vertically from the tip of the bag to the open end of the bag.
- Repeat around in a circle for the remaining food dye colors.
- Pour the donut butter into a piping bag.
- Snip the end of the bag and fill the prepared donut pan, filling each mold about ¾ way full.
- Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until you notice the donuts are just barely browned.
- While the donuts are in the oven, prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Prepare the glaze if you are making you own by mixing all ingredients together (powdered sugar, milk and vanilla). Or, use store-bought icing.
- Let the donuts cool for 5 minutes out of the oven before glazing.
- Take your vanilla glaze and drizzle over the donuts then sprinkle with the extra rainbow sprinkles.
- Enjoy while they're still warm!