I’ve always been a big fan of veggie burgers in any form. Frozen veggie burgers, homemade, or ordered from the restaurant – they’re all pretty good in my book. Sometimes, you need a little break from the traditional black bean burger.
These healthy vegan chickpea veggie burgers are made with savory spices and boiled potato. They are a much healthier alternative to a frozen veggie burger which may be high in sodium. And, they’re low in saturated fat while packing in nutrients and fiber to keep you full.
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Chickpea Burgers
- These burgers come together with minimal prep-work and simple ingredients.
- You can experiment with different herbs and spices as you see fit.
- These veggie burgers are packed with fiber and protein while being a healthy alternative to meat burgers.
- You may have all the ingredients you need on hand. There is no need to run to the grocery store for specialty items.
- These versatile vegan burgers can be topped with so many different things. I added a list of toppings below to give you some ideas. But, they taste great with anything.
- You can serve these burgers on a lettuce bun, or, if you are feeling ambitious try making your own burger buns.
How To Make Firm (And Tasty) Chickpea Veggie Burgers
- Peel and slice the potatoes. Then, boil them in water until they are just able to be pierced with a fork.
- Peel and dice the onion, mince the garlic, and chop the parsley.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and diced onion, cooking and stirring for 5 minutes until they begin to turn brown.
- Add the cumin, pepper and celery seed. Cook for an additional minute and remove from heat. Drain potatoes, reserving a small amount of the liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion/spice mix, the chickpeas, cooked potato, almond flour, parsley and salt.
- Mash with a potato masher or food processor until the chickpeas are completely broken up. If the mixture is too dry, add some of the reserved liquid from the potatoes 1 Tbsp. at a time. If the mixture is too soft, add 1 Tbsp. of almond flour as needed.
- With oiled hands, form the mixture into 6 patties.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a baking tray lined with parchment, coat the patties in oil and bake for 12 minutes until golden brown. Then, flip and cook for an additional 10 minutes. (20-25 minutes total).
Frying Pan Directions
Frying your chickpea burgers results in a moister patty that is more delicate. To fry these, heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Cook patties (2 at a time) for 3 minutes per side until a golden crust forms.
Best Toppings For These Chickpea Burgers
- Pickled onion – pickled onion add a bit of zing and complement the flavor of these veggie burgers.
- Avocado – don’t forget to add in the healthy fats! I love sliced avocado on my veggie burgers.
- Fruit chutney – if you want to sweeten it up a bit, try a fruit chutney on top of these chickpea burgers.
- Sliced tomato – tomato is a classic burger topping that adds extra flavor and moisture.
- Lettuce – romaine lettuce adds a layer of crunch to make these burgers more satisfying.
- Grilled veggies – while the stovetop is hot, try adding mushrooms or peppers to top these burgers off with.
- Vegan cheese – cheese and burgers go hand in hand, don’t they?
Recipe FAQs and Substitutions
Can you air fry these burger? – Yes, you can spray your air fryer basket with cooking oil and air fry these burgers for 20 minutes at 400°F. Flip them halfway through cooking. This will result in a more delicate burger than cooking in the oven.
How can I make these burgers more firm? – I find that chickpea burgers are always a little soft. For a nice, firm burger that will hold many toppings, use the oven baking method.
Can I substitute the flour? – Yes you can use traditional flour in this recipe. Start with the same amount of flour as a 1:1 substitute. Almond flour results in a denser burger, so your results will be a bit different.
Can I substitute a sweet potato? – Sweet potatoes are not as starchy as white potatoes and will not result in the same texture burger. Using a sweet potato will result in a softer/mushier burger, so I do not recommend this substitution.
Let me know if you make these veggie burgers and what types of toppings you used. In my experience, these burgers never last long in the house. The cooked patties can be stored for a couple days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Healthy Vegan Chickpea Veggie Burgers
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed & drained (1 ¾ cups)
- 1 medium russet potato
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 4 Tbsp. almond flour
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- Peel and slice potato into chunks. Boil potatoes in water over medium heat until just able to be pierced with a fork.
- Peel and dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Wash and dry parsley and chop.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion, cooking for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly until they begin to turn brown.
- Add the cumin, pepper, and celery seed. Cook for an additional minute and remove from heat.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving a small amount of the liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion and spice mixture, chickpeas, cooked potato, almond flour, chopped parsley, and salt. Mash together with a potato masher or food processor until well combined.
- If the mixture is too dry, add some of the reserved liquid from the potatoes 1 Tbsp. at a time. If the mixture is too soft, add more almond flour as needed.
- Oil your hands and form the mixture into 6 patties.
Oven instructions (preferred method):
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Coat the patties in oil and bake for 12-14 minutes on the first side until golden brown. Flip and cook for 10 minutes on the second side.
- Top with desired toppings and serve.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large frying pan or cast iron over medium-high heat.
- Cook 2-3 patties at a time for about 3 minutes per side until a golden-brown crust forms.
- Top with desired toppings and serve.