Whenever I’m craving chocolate, this rich and dreamy 5 ingredient chocolate vegan pudding always does the trick for me. It’s incredibly smooth, satisfying, and creamy. The consistency and flavor is perfect for satiating any chocolate craving that may come up! And, it’s super easy and fast to make.
This recipe is naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and free of refined sugars. So, you can feel a lot better about eating it than regular store bought pudding. And honestly? I really prefer the flavor and consistency of this homemade pudding.
About the ingredients in this vegan pudding
The base recipe for this pudding is only 5 ingredients! You may even have them on hand.
- Avocado – I know it may sound strange, but you have to try it! This is the base of the pudding and what makes it so creamy. If you use a properly ripe avocado, you can’t taste the avocado flavor at all! Be sure the avocado you use is slightly soft but not mushy. You’ll want to use to an avocado of the same ripeness as guacamole.
- Frozen cherries – Frozen cherries contribute to the sweet flavor and make the pudding ice cold. They can take awhile to blend smoothly, but it’s worth the wait.
- Non-dairy milk – I prefer to use vanilla almond milk in this recipe. But, oat milk will also give a nice flavor for this pudding.
- Maple syrup – The maple syrup helps to balance out the flavor and adds the sweetness needed for this pudding recipe. You can also use date syrup if you’d like.
- Cocoa powder – It wouldn’t be chocolate pudding without cocoa powder, right? I find that one tbsp. cocoa is all that’s really needed for a nice chocolate flavor. But, you can add extra for a more intense chocolate flavor.
Optional add-ins and variations
I’ve gotten creative with this recipe over the years and have experimented with some add-ins. I find the best variations come with additional ingredients on top of the pudding instead of blending them in. But, feel free to experiment with any of the following:
- Fresh fruit – Fresh strawberries go so incredibly well with this pudding. It tastes like a chocolate covered strawberry dessert, and you just can’t beat that.
- Shredded coconut – Try sprinkling a bit of shredded coconut on top for a unique twist on the flavor.
- Chocolate chips – I have blended chocolate chips right into this recipe, and also tried them sprinkled on top. Mini chips work best.
- Chopped nuts – This pudding tastes great with some chopped nuts on top. Try peanuts or pecans for added crunch.
- Nut butter – A small amount of nut butter will level this pudding up and give it a nutty undertone.
- Vanilla extract – If you notice the flavor of avocado in your pudding, try adding a small amount of vanilla extract (1/4 tsp.) to off-set the flavor.
This decadent vegan chocolate pudding is incredibly rich and satisfying.
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I like vanilla almond)
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3/4 cup frozen cherries (about 14 total)
- Slice avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop avocado and blend in food processor with non dairy milk till smooth.
- Add in cocoa powder, maple syrup and frozen cherries. Blend until smooth. This can take a couple minutes!
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge to be consumed the same day.
For the best consistency, use a food processor if you can. A blender will not blend the pudding smooth enough.