Who says comfort food can’t be vegan and healthy? Our take on the classic potato soup is not only heartwarming and delicious but also completely vegan! And the best part? It’s ridiculously easy to prepare, especially if you’re using an Instant Pot.
Imagine the creaminess of potatoes blended with the earthy flavors of herbs and vegetables, all rounded off with nutritional yeast for that extra umami kick. This soup is the perfect embodiment of wholesome goodness in a bowl. Plus, thanks to the Instant Pot, you can whip up this culinary delight in no time at all. It’s a breeze to make, sparing you the usual kitchen hustle and bustle. Let’s cook up the comfort!
Why you’ll love this Instant Pot soup
- Wholesome and nutritious: This soup is packed with nutritious vegetables and a hearty serving of potatoes, making it a complete meal in itself.
- Vegan-friendly: All ingredients used are plant-based, making this recipe suitable for those following a vegan lifestyle.
- Flavorful: The combination of herbs and vegetables lends a rich, earthy flavor to the soup.
- Creamy consistency: The potatoes, when blended, contribute to a creamy and smooth consistency, providing a comforting mouthfeel.
- Additional umami: The addition of nutritional yeast gives the soup an extra hint of umami, making it even more savory and delicious.
- Easy to prepare: With simplicity at its core, this recipe is perfect for weekday dinners when you’re pressed for time.
- Instant pot friendly: The use of an Instant Pot makes cooking this soup a breeze, further simplifying the preparation process.
- Flexible: The recipe is adaptable – you can add other preferred vegetables or even some protein like lentils or tofu.
- Great for meal prep: It’s an ideal recipe for meal prep. Make a large batch, and you have comforting meals ready for the next few days.
- Perfect for all seasons: Whether it’s a cold winter evening or a breezy summer afternoon, this soup is perfect to enjoy year-round.
Optional add-ins for this soup:
- Protein: Add lentils or chickpeas for an extra protein boost. If you’re not strictly vegan, a swirl of Greek yogurt works wonderfully as well.
- Vegetables: Consider tossing in some peas, corn, or diced bell peppers for added texture and color.
- Spices: For a spicier soup, include a dash of cayenne pepper or smoked paprika. Smoked paprika is one of my favorite variations.
- Grains: Barley or quinoa can be added to give the soup a heartier consistency.
- Herbs: Freshly chopped parsley, cilantro, green onion, or chives work well.
- Nuts: Toasted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds add a satisfying crunch that works well with the creamy texture.
- Cheese: Vegan cheese shreds can be used as a topping if you want to add a cheesy flavor.
- Croutons: Crunchy croutons level up the texture and consistency in every bite.
- Sour cream: A dollop of vegan sour cream can add a touch of decadence.
Tips for making the best vegan Instant Pot soup
- Pick the right potatoes: The choice of potatoes significantly impacts the soup’s texture and flavor. Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes are excellent options as they lend a creamy texture when cooked and mashed. But, I have also made this soup with sweet potatoes.
- Saute the vegetables: Take some extra time to sauté the onion, carrot, and garlic before adding the potatoes and broth. This step will help to deepen the flavors. Luckily, the Instant Pot does this for you! But, it is a step that should not be skipped.
- Don’t skimp on the nutritional yeast: Nutritional yeast imparts a unique umami and cheese-like flavor, making it a critical ingredient in our vegan potato soup.
- Use high-quality vegetable broth: A high-quality vegetable broth can elevate the soup’s flavor. You can either buy good quality ready-made broth or make your own at home.
- Blend to the right consistency: Once the soup is cooked, blend it to achieve your preferred consistency. If you like some texture in your soup, you can set aside a portion of the soup before blending, then add it back later.
- Add-ins: The add-ins we suggested are entirely flexible. You may opt for other veggies, grains, or protein sources as per your palate and dietary needs.
- Adjust the thickness: The thickness of the soup can be easily adjusted by adding more or less non-dairy milk. Start with the recommended amount and add more if needed, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Experiment with garnishes: Don’t limit yourself to the garnishes listed. Try croutons, fresh herbs, a dollop of vegan yogurt, or even a sprinkle of chili flakes for a kick of heat.
- Let the soup rest: Allowing the soup to rest for a few minutes after cooking can help the flavors meld together better, making the soup even more delicious.
Recipe FAQs and variations
- What type of potatoes work best for this soup?
Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes are recommended for this recipe due to their creamy texture when cooked and mashed.
- Can I use other vegetables in this soup?
Absolutely! This recipe is adaptable. You can add peas, corn, diced bell peppers, or any other vegetables of your choice.
- What can I use instead of non-dairy milk?
If you are not strictly vegan, you can use regular milk. However, if you are vegan and do not have non-dairy milk available, you can use additional vegetable broth to adjust the consistency of the soup.
- Is the nutritional yeast necessary?
While not strictly necessary, the nutritional yeast imparts a unique umami and cheese-like flavor to the soup. If you do not have nutritional yeast, you can substitute it with a small amount of soy sauce to get the umami flavor.
- Can I make this soup on the stovetop instead of an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make this soup on the stovetop. The cooking process would be the same, but the cooking time may need to be adjusted. The soup will take longer on the stovetop.
- Can I freeze this soup for later use?
Yes, this soup freezes well. Make sure to cool it completely before transferring it to airtight containers for freezing.
- What can I serve with this vegan potato soup?
This soup pairs well with a side of warm, crusty bread for dipping. You can also serve it with a green salad for a more complete meal.
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- instant pot
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled/sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried celery seed
- 1 3lb bag of potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cups non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Set Instant Pot to sauté
- Add olive oil, diced onion, sliced carrots, minced garlic, salt, pepper, basil, rosemary, and celery seed. Sauté for 5 minutes, then cancel the sauté setting.
- Add in diced potatoes and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, seal, and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. After cooking, do a natural release for 10 minutes. Then, quick release.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer cooled mixture to blender) and blend the potatoes with the milk, vinegar and nutritional yeast until desired consistency is met.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.