Once you make asparagus in the air fryer, you’ll never go back to steaming or stir-frying it again. I used to love steaming my asparagus, but now I always make it in the air fryer. This recipe for spicy air fryer asparagus makes crispy, tender asparagus in only 7 minutes!
This recipe is perfect for a snack or side dish. It’s easy to make in the air fryer, and you don’t need a lot of oil to crisp it up. The air fryer circulates hot air around the asparagus in a basket, which cooks it much different than if you were to steam it or fry it on the stovetop.
I prefer using the air fryer over the stovetop because you need less oil. I’ve tried this recipe with other oils but have always found extra virgin olive oil to be the best in terms of flavor and texture.
Air fryer asparagus tips
- This recipe is made with crushed red pepper which makes the asparagus rather spicy. If you’d like it less spicy, use half the amount of red pepper.
- If you do not have crushed red pepper, you can substitute for 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper or harissa powder.
- If you do not want spicy asparagus, experiment with different herbs instead! You can use thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil or even cumin for a unique flavor.
- If you make this spicy asparagus ahead of time, store it in the fridge for up to 3 days for maximum freshness.
- Serve alongside a portobello mushroom burger, or add the asparagus to a Buddha bowl.
Spicy Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper use less if you like it less spicy!
- ¼ tsp salt
- Slice off the tough bottoms of the asparagus (about 1-2 inches).
- Toss the asparagus in the olive oil, red pepper and salt.
- Depending on the air fryer you're using, you may want to spray the basket with non-stick oil. I use the Ninja Foodi and place the air fryer basket on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Set the temperature to 400 degrees F and cook for 7 minutes.
- The asparagus should be perfectly cooked. If it needs more time, add an additional minute at a time until desire doneness is reached.