Salsa is considered the “secret ingredient” for many recipes in our household. We use it to top tortilla chips, dress up our tacos, and even spice up tofu scrambles. This fresh and summery mango salsa is completely vegan and gluten-free.
I find this salsa to be the perfect topping for these smoky chickpea tacos. When mangos are in season, they have the most irresistible flavor! For this recipe, I like to use ripe but firm mangos. If they are too soft, the salsa will be mushy and lose its texture.
This “summer salsa” is perfect at any time of the year. If you can find fresh, ripe mangoes, then you can make this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s full of healthy ingredients – This salsa is packed with fruits and veggies making it a good way to add a bit of nutrition to your meal.
- It’s versatile – This salsa isn’t just for tacos! Use it for salads, grilled tofu, or even a bowl of quinoa.
- Perfect for summer – This is an excellent recipe to bring to your next potluck or BBQ. It’s a tasty crowd pleaser.
- Fresh and vibrant – With all the bright ingredients, it’s an explosions of freshness and color.
- Easy to make – This salsa is very straightforward and simple to make. It comes together in no time, and it uses just a few ingredients.
- Customize it easily – If you’re looking to switch this recipe up a bit, you can easily do so by adding additional ingredients.
About the Ingredients
This mango salsa incorporates a mix of fresh ingredients which all contribute to the overall flavor and texture. It’s a simple recipe with not much to it!
- Fresh mango – This is the star of the show! Mango gives the salsa a fruity and sweet base. The succulent and juicy texture also contributes to the salsa.
- Red onion – Adds a sharp, yet slightly sweet undertone to balance the sweetness of the mango. Plus, it gives a satisfying crunch.
- Tomato – Tomato is a standard ingredient in most salsa recipes. Contributes additional freshness, a subtle acidity, and a soft texture that complements the mango well.
- Sea salt – Enhances all the flavors, making them stand out and blend harmoniously.
- Jalapeno – Brings a spicy kick to the salsa, adding an exciting twist to the sweet mango.
- Cilantro – Offers a splash of green color and a distinctive herby note, which uplifts the overall flavor profile.
- Fresh lime juice– Imparts a tangy freshness that brightens the salsa and brings all the flavors together.
Optional add-ins for this vegan mango salsa
While this salsa recipe is great on its own, you can easily add some additional ingredients to change it up a bit. Here are some options:
- Pineapple – Who doesn’t love fruity pineapple in a summer salsa? For a tropical twist, add some diced pineapple for a sweet contrast.
- Black beans – If you want to add a bit of protein, black beans make this salsa more filling and substantial.
- Avocado – Diced avocado adds a nice, creamy texture with healthy fats as well.
- Corn – You can use fresh or frozen corn for crunch and sweetness. Using sweet corn while it is in season makes this salsa extra tasty.
- Bell peppers – Diced red or green pepper adds crunch and more beautiful color to this recipe.
- Garlic – You really can’t go wrong with garlic, in my opinion. A clove or two of fresh garlic adds a ton of flavor for those who like it.
How to make this salsa (step by step)
- Step 1– Start by preparing your ingredients: peel and dice a large fresh mango into ½” cubes.
- Step 2 – Take a medium red onion, peel it and mince it finely into ½” cubes. Dice your tomato.
- Step 3 – Take a medium jalapeno, cut off the stem, and finely mince it. If you prefer a milder salsa, remove some of the seeds beforehand.
- Step 4 – Rinse and dry a small bunch of cilantro. Discard the stems and finely chop the leaves.
- Step 5 – Add the mango, onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, ¾ tsp of sea salt, and 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice to a bowl. Toss all ingredients until they are evenly distributed.
- Step 6 – Taste your salsa and feel free to adjust the quantities of salt and lime juice to your preference.
- Tip: To achieve the best flavor, let your salsa sit for at least an hour before serving.
What to serve this vegan salsa with
This salsa is quite versatile and pairs well with a variety of foods. Here are my favorite ways to use this fresh summer mango salsa:
- Taco and burritos – This recipe will add a burst of flavor to any of your favorite taco or burrito dishes.
- Rice bowls – Use this salsa to top off a rice bowl or buddha bowl filled with your choice of protein and veggies.
- Chips – Like any good salsa, this one is perfect for dipping a chip in.
- Grilled tofu – The sweetness of the mango makes a perfect pairing for grilled tofu.
- Salads – Move over salad dressing! This fresh and fruity salsa will add a well-needed boost to your green salad or even a quinoa salad.
- Wraps and sandwiches – Throw this salsa into your favorite wrap for a burst of fruity flavor that makes a healthier substitute than mayo.
- Vegan quesadillas – This salsa is perfect for dipping a vegan quesadilla in.
- Stuffed peppers – Peppers and salsa go hand-in-hand. Use this salsa recipe to top off any of your favorite stuffed peppers.
Tips and tricks for making this vegan salsa
- Select the best mangoes – Choosing mangoes that are ripe and firm will result in the best salsa. Overripe mangos result in a mushy salsa, while unripe mangoes will not be sweet enough.
- Dicing the mango – Cut the mango into small cubes so each scoop gets an equal taste of all the ingredients.
- Fresh ingredients – This is key! Always use the freshest ingredients you can for the most vibrant flavors.
- Lime juice – Don’t skip the lime juice. The acidity helps to balance out the sweetness while adding a tangy kick.
- Seasoning – Salt brings all the flavors together, so do not skip this ingredient. Add additional seasonings as you see fit.
- Chill before serving – Let your salsa chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. You can eat it right away, but a chilled salsa will have better flavor.
- Consume within 3 days – After a few days, this salsa gets a bit mushy. I like to consume it within 3 days for the best flavor. Store it in an airtight container to preserve freshness.
10-Minute Vegan Mango Summer Salsa
- 1 large fresh mango diced
- ½ medium red onion minced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 medium jalapeno minced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Peel and dice mango into ½” cubes. Peel and mince the red onion and dice the tomato.
Cut the stem off the jalapeno and finely mince. Remove seeds for less heat.
Wash and dry the cilantro. Remove just the leaves and finely chop them.
Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss to evenly distribute. Taste and adjust salt and lime juice as needed.
For best flavor, allow to sit for at least 1 hour in the fridge. Serve cold.
- Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.