Who doesn’t love rice krispy treats? Now, if I’m being completely honest, there’s a tiny part of me that dreads the messiness of the initial process. However, the end result is always so delicious and visually appealing, it makes the cleanup worth it!
I’ve been a fan of these crunchy, sweet treats for years, and despite my minor gripe with the ‘sticky’ part of the process, these treats never fail to bring a smile to my face.
Why you’ll love these rainbow marshmallow treats
- They’re Easy to Make: With just four ingredients, these treats are a breeze to conjure up. Even amateur cooks can whip up a batch in no time.
- Quick Preparation: The prep is quick (about 10 minutes), and then you just need to let them firm up. These treats can be ready in just a few hours – perfect for when you need a quick dessert.
- Kid-Friendly: The colorful aesthetics and sweet taste appeal to children of all ages, making it a hit among the little ones.
- Completely Vegan: Abiding by vegan dietary restrictions, these treats are free from animal products.
- Party Pleaser: Their vibrant colors make these treats a standout addition to any party spread. You can even add festive sprinkles for each holiday to dress them up.
- Perfect for Gifts: Packaged nicely, these treats make unique, thoughtful gifts for any occasion.
- Versatile: They can be customized with different types of cereal or vegan chocolate chips for variety.
- Delicious: Above all, these Rice Krispy treats are absolutely delicious – a crunchy, marshmallowy delight that’s hard to resist.
- No baking: These treats are a no-bake recipe so they’re perfect to make during the summer months when you don’t want to fire up the oven.
How to make rainbow vegan rice krispy treats
- Prepare Your Ingredients: Gather all the ingredients mentioned above. This includes butter (there are many vegan brands available), rainbow cereal, white baking chips (ensure they are vegan), and marshmallows (Dandies is a popular vegan brand).
- Melt the Butter: Start by melting the vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the Marshmallows: Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows to the pot. Stir continuously until they have completely melted and combined with the butter.
- Mix in the Cereal: Lower the heat and add the rainbow cereal to the marshmallow mixture. Stir until the cereal is fully coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add the White Baking Chips: Add in the white baking chips and stir until they’re evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Press into a Pan: Transfer the mixture into a greased or parchment-lined baking pan. Smooth out the mixture with a spatula or the back of a spoon, pressing it down firmly.
- Let Cool: Allow the treats to cool and firm up. This typically takes about 30 minutes.
- Cut and Serve: Once cooled, cut into squares or desired shapes and serve. Enjoy your homemade vegan Rainbow Rice Krispy Treats!
Tip: “Oops all berries” and “Fruity Pebbles” are both accessible cereal options. You can also check the store brand at your local market and to see if they are vegan as well.
Tips for making the best rice krispy treats
- Use Quality Vegan Marshmallows: Invest in a high-quality vegan marshmallow brand such as Dandies for best results. The taste and texture will significantly impact your treats.
- Don’t Over-Melt the Marshmallows: Avoid over-melting your marshmallows; otherwise, they might become hard and crunchy instead of soft and gooey.
- Gentle Pressing: Do not press the mixture too firmly into the pan. A lighter touch ensures that your treats remain fluffy and light.
- Use Wet Fingers: Slightly damp fingers work best for pressing the sticky treats into the pan. It prevents the mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Customize Your Treats: Feel free to add in extras like vegan chocolate chips, dried fruit, or nuts for a personalized touch.
- Variety in Cereal: Experiment with different types of vegan cereals to introduce unique flavors and textures. In fact, I like to make these with half “regular” rice krispies because the rainbow version is very sweet. So, this helps to mellow out the flavor a bit. But, any cereal will work.
- Use Fresh Ingredients: Ensure all your ingredients, particularly the cereal, are fresh. Stale or nearly expired ingredients can affect the overall taste. You’ll want to use fresh marshmallows as well.
- Check Your Baking Chips: Confirm that your white baking chips are vegan. Many brands contain milk products, so always double-check the ingredients.
- Patience is Key: Allow ample time for your treats to cool and set. Rushing this process could result in a crumbly mess.
- Proper Storage: To maintain freshness, store your Vegan Rainbow Rice Krispy Treats in an airtight container at room temperature. Avoid refrigerating them, as it can make them hard and less enjoyable.
Vegan Rainbow Marshmallow Treats
- 11x7x2 rectangular cake pan
- 2 microwave safe mixing bowls (1 large and 1 small or medium)
- 4 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 6 cups rainbow cereal
- ½ cup white chocolate baking chips
- 10.5 oz vegan marshmallows Dandies are a popular brand
- Start by melting the vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows to the pot. Stir continuously until they have completely melted and combined with the butter.
- Lower the heat and add the rainbow cereal to the marshmallow mixture. Stir until the cereal is fully coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add in the white baking chips and stir until they’re evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a parchment-lined baking pan. Smooth out the mixture with a spatula or the back of a spoon, pressing it down firmly.
- Allow the treats to cool and firm up. This typically takes about about an hour or two.
- Once cooled, cut into squares or desired shapes and serve.